Saturday, March 05, 2005

Weekend Writing

My original plans for Friday were a little derailed, but in a most pleasant way. After work, I arrived home with the plan oh heading to bed early and just relaxing for the evening. However, I remembered that a friend, Andres, was having some people over for his birthday and he invited me. Although his Hall is across campus and a 30-minute walk, I decided I would bite the bullet and go visit.

On my way to Hall 13, I stopped by the grocery store at the canteen, bought myself a tall Tiger beer and headed off on my walk. This was my first Tiger beer since arriving in Singapore; I have to say it's quite good. Tiger also enjoys the most prominent marketing presence of any brand in Asia. Virtually every restaurant will have at least one Tiger insignia prominently displayed for all to see. Tiger beer is almost synonymous with food and in a country obsessed with eating this means Tiger beer is everywhere.

The NTU campus is the perfect place for an evening walk. There is a lot of greenery, and when Singapore gets dark, usually around 7:30pm, the sky opens up to reveal a blanket of stars. With the evening comes a nice breeze off the sea and the temperature is just about perfect. It's very relaxing to walk along, sip a beer, and enjoy the scenery.

Once at Hall 13, we played beer pong for a while, put Andres to bed at about 11, and then headed out to a nightclub by the Singapore River. The night was actually lots of fun and I got to talk to a lot of people I rarely see because they are on the opposite side of campus.

Today, I'm doing absolutely nothing. I'm just taking it easy before the competition tomorrow. Our plan is to meet up at 6am to head to the national stadium. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm praying for rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home