Friday, May 27, 2005

Bangkok

So, I have spent the last few days in Bangkok. It's been a good time and I'm looking forward to heading off tomorrow.

First, the food situation is probably not too bad, however I can't communicate well enough to figure that out. The thaws use peanuts frequently and their English is the worst I've come across so far. So, McDonald's, salad (when I can), and fruit is the good food for me.

Yesterday and today was a day of sight seeing. I went and saw a three different temples yesterday and then the Grand Palace today. All of them were impressive with the Grand Palace being the best. The architecture is very beautiful and awe inspiring. I also got to see the changing of the (2) guards.

Last night I went and saw a Thai boxing match. I have to admit it was quite entertaining but far from my favorite sport. It seems strange to watch people kicking and punching one another. I doubt I'll be watching any boxing in the near future but it was an interesting cultural experience.

I was sitting behind a large fenced off area in the cheap seats. It felt as though I were in some kind of prison or cage. The lighting was dim and the seats were just flat surfaces of poured concrete. At the start it was sporadically filled with foreigners. Soon, however, the Thais came pouring in. They swarmed the cages and were frantically switching seats to try and get a better view. The reason for the cage is that, in theory, betting of a certain type is only supposed to go on in the cheap seats. Having paid only the equivalent of $12 for our tickets, we got to watch the Thai men aggressively place bets and then cheer their chosen fighter. It was interesting to watch these passive Buddhist people (something like 90% of placing bets on two men who are intent on knocking each other out Thais are Buddhist) placing bets on two men who are intent on knocking each other out.

The evening entertainment served as a strong contrast to the opulent palace and temples. It also was a reminder that reality often differs from ideals ,and religious generalizations don't hold true when you examine the daily lives of people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, thanks for the reminder! You have some amazing pictures, I espically like the wave coming in to the beach at sunset. It sounds like you are winning the 'avoid the peanuts' game, keep up the good work. If all else fails you can resort to eating bugs and chewing on grass or bark, I'm pretty sure it's peanut free! Maizie

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home