Friday, July 15, 2005

London Bombs

I'm currently in Prague - the weather is gorgeous and so is the city. I spent the day at Prague castle and now I'm exploring more of the city. I'm looking forward to getting off the tourist train, but I am enjoying the beer - it's also the cheapest beverage on the menu.

So, I visited London four days after the bombs went off. I made a journey to King's Cross. On the way I came across the site of the explosion on the bus. First of all, I was hit by the volume and presence of the news media. There were cameras constantly trained on the memorials - waiting for something to happen. Second, the memorials themselves were very moving. They were full of flowers, messages, and statements of support. What was most moving was the posters of the, then, still missing.

Ït brought tears to my eyes to see pictures of happy smiling people and then see in the background a memorial or signs of their violent demise. There are no words that can explain how it felt. It's something I hope to never feel again, but it's something I'll never forget.

Here are a few photos:
IMG_8596
IMG_8596
IMG_8598
IMG_8631
IMG_8618
IMG_8601

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home