Friday, June 17, 2005

Railay to Ko Phi Phi

So, since my last post I have done some traveling and some relaxing.

Upon returning to Bangkok from Vietnam I cought a quick flight to Krabi town - a small town on the SouthEast coast of Thailand. From there, I made my way via longtail boat to the beaches of Railay Bay. Railay is similar to an island (in that it has amazing beaches and can only be reached via boat) but is actually part of the mainland.

I spent a few days on Railay relaxing and enjoying the sun. On my final day I took a half day of rock climbing. It was lots of fun and my first time climbing on real rocks. My arms are still tired.

Railay itself is very beautiful (pictures to come soon) and features dramatic limestone cliffs plunging into azure blue waters. The scenery is breath taking and there are many different inlets that create wonderful beaches that are kept secluded by the cliffs.

Following Railay, I made my way (via longtail again) to the ferry in Krabi town. Here I transferred directly onto the ferry as my little wooden boat docked right with the ferry. It was an experience hauling myself up the 4 feet and climbing over the railing. I felt like I was some sort of VIP shipped in at the last minute.

I'm now in Ko Phi Phi. This is a picturesque island with world class beaches and heavenly views. It is also one of the areas in Thailand hit hardest by the tsunami. I'm amazed by the visible destruction that is still evident and the amount of work that has been done to clean things, rebuild, and re-establish the town.

One of the most impressive things is the community that exists here. I wish I could stay longer. The volunteering is very open and everybody is welcome to join even if they here only for a day. Many people come for a day and stay for weeks or months. I would have been volunteering today, but I arrived on the day off. Every Friday is a break day. Unfortunately, tomorrow I must leave (so I can head back to Bangkok and head to Dubai) so I may miss out on the volunteering.

So, that's about all for now. I'll upload pictures when I can get to a computer with the required capabilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home