Monday, July 25, 2005

Much Needed Update

So, I'm finally getting around to uploading some more pictures and updating you on my activities.
Following London, my itinerary has been as follows:

London: Departed on July 14th
Prague: July 14 to 20st
Brno: July 21st, 22nd
Vienna: July 22nd to 26th
Next: Bus trip to Croatia

Prague was a gorgeous city, but strewn with random tourists. Most were living, but I swear that few had caught that horrible disease that was featured in 'Sean of the Dead'. They traveled in large, lumberous groups, and seem to have a dazed distant look on their faces. They drooled and breathed heavily. It was a little disconcerting.

Prague castle is a sight to be seen. Wading through the tourists you get a fabulous view of the main cathedral. Insight, you realize just how big it is (very). I was amazed. What's also amazing about Pragues is that there is beautiful architecture at every turn. I walked the streets for hours, just to get lost. I found myself in areas where nobody was around and there were still picture perfect streets with little marble square stone sidewalks, and quaint restaurants and lights. It has a very warm and magical feeling - like a summers day that blows in a pleasant smell of fresh bread.

After visiting Prague for a week, I headed to the smaller city of Brno - to get away from the crowds. Brno is very nice and is in the SE part of the Czech Republic - the former Moravian capital. While there I visited the local castle. Its history dates back to the 1200s and includes various uses such as a residence, a stronghold, a prison, a torture prison, a nazi prison, and now a museum. The most amazing part was seeing the prison cells in the deep confines of the castle.

Following the castle I went to the crypt. I saw about 50 skeletons of various notable figures that are held in a church in the middle of Brno. They all are from the 1700s and it has an eary feeling to it.

I then headed on the train for Vienna. The trip was quick (two and half hours) and I had no problems, once I figured out how to communicate my need to buy a ticket and get on the right train.

Vienna is also a beautiful city with amazing cultural events and rich architectures. In the central core, there are muscial perforamances all around. At any one time you can be within a few minutes walk of a Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss, or other classical performance. Last night I attended free film festival outside the Rauthaus - an amazing city hall. There, we saw a film of a classical concert in Berlin. What's great is that therew were probably 1200 people crammed in to watch a DVD of a classical music performance. Nearby there were international food stalls selling a fine assortment of meals, wines, and other great gastronimic treats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home