Saturday, January 15, 2005

Dumplings for Breakfast

In order to prevent the verbal diarrhea that was the descriptions of my flights, I'll give you a brief run-down of what I have been up to so far:

Day 1 - starting 6PM local time
1. Arrived in Airport
2. Took a taxi to Nanyang Technological University - my home for the next 3.5 months
The taxi ride was gorgeous and I got to see how diverse the city is. Interestingly, there is very little grass, it's all deep green lush growth on the ground.
3. Met up with student representatives - received my keys and that was it
4. Tried to clean up some of the area is my room (was very dirty when I arrived)
5. Unpacked a little
6. Shower (it's so hot and humid, you sweat like crazy) and Sleep

Day 2 - starting 7AM local time (I am now an early riser)
1. Shower
2. Walk around campus, get relevant forms, stop and eat dumplings for breakfast
3. Illegally rode the bus (maybe, I paid $1.20 but I have no idea if that was enough. I tried to ask the bus driver but he didn't speak english and just motioned to the pay device and the back of the bus).
4. Rode the train
5. Went to the immigration building, got a number, waited for 2 hours, left without my passport, but with instructions to return tomorrow at 9AM
6. Searched for the site of the office I'm working at (35 Ann Siang Road)
7. Walked around the area
8. Took train and bus back to NTU (total time approx. 1.5hr)
9. Went to computer
10. Met American exchange student
11. Met a bunch more exchange students
12. Went on a night safari (9PM - 12AM) - really cool, you get to see all the animals up close because there are no cages. Also, you see all the nocturnal animals awake and roaming around. They have small pits that keep the dangerous animals away (Tiger, Lions) but other than that only some vegetation separates you from the animals. When you go through the flying squirrel and bat area there is no separation and we were very close to them. Bats are scary.

Day 2 - Started about 8AM (perhaps I'm slowly going to lose my early morning rising)
1. Went back downtown
2. Got in line at immigration office
3. Got a number
4. Went up to counter
5. Had to go get money on my transit card to pay to get my passport back
6. Got in line
7. Got my passport - now with student pass secured to it
8. Walked around Raffles hotel
9. Had a Singapore Sling at the long bar - very cool, but definitely not worth the $18.65
10. Walked around the water front
11. Ate a peppered crab - soooo good, but soooo messy
12. Took transit back home
13. e-mailed and updated blog

Wildlife seen so far (aside from the night safari):
- Small black birds with yellow beak
- Loud bright yellow birds
- Crane of some sort
- Cats (without tails)
- Lizard - gecko of some sort
- Big birds that make noise but don't let you see them because they fly away into the bright sun light


PS: It's hot and humid!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such early mornings, this really is a whole new you. But really is it just that the time distance makes it easier to get up at that time?

When do you start work? How far is it for you to go to work from where you live?

Pamela

1:51 AM  
Blogger Anna* said...

Hey Mike,

Sounds ridiculous. I especially enjoy the fact that you had a Singapore sling, however I cannot relate to the price. The most I seem to pay for a beer here (in South Africa) is just over $2, and that includes a tip. Now you can't get mad at me for not posting on your blog.
All the best,
Anna*

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike - love your descriptions of singapore...reminds me of home! Singapore is a little more expensive than the rest of southeast asia, but the raffles hotel is by far the most expensive place you can go for a drink. Cool atmosphere though hey?! I'll send you an email a little later.
~avaleigh
ps. don't you LOVE the dumplings?! you gotta try rambutans and roti canai

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah and about the light switches thing...they do it backwards here. On is down, off is up
~av

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike

Sounds like your having a wonderful time. I just hope that they have a clean garbage bin for your late night drinks!

Ryan and I wish you safe travels and a fabulous adventure. I look forward in reading your updates, and can't wait to see pics!

Be safe~!

Brandon

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

You've now officially become a nerd with your own blog. The trip sounds awesome so far and I am extremely jealous. Especially the dumplings for breakfast...remember the dumplings we ate in the Co-Ed lounge...so good.

We definitely miss you here in Edmonton and we should talk soon about the summer, however, the whole tsunami incident has made me questions my plans. Anyways, I hope things continue to go well for you and that you have the time of your life. You deserve it buddy.

Take care,

Jordan

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home