Friday, January 21, 2005

Peanuts are bad!

This past Wednesday, I had the privilege of attending “Singapore Perspectives 2005” a high level conference that was directed at Singapore’s top business people. The conference covered topics ranging from Singapore’s political and social outlook to its foreign policy and relations with surrounding countries. The conference took place at Singapore’s 5 star Shangri-La hotel and was in a beautiful conference room with glass chandeliers and rich wood (see lobby picture). Needless to say, the conference was a great introduction to the Singapore business world. Unfortunately, it was also an introduction to a few proteins I had wished to avoid.



As part of the conference we were served lunch. I had dutifully informed the organizers of my severe allergy to nuts and the meal should have been safe. Ironically enough, this is my first meal in a hotel and my first “western” meal since arriving in Singapore. It also was my first meal to bring about an allergic reaction.

I first noticed that I was a bit itchy after lunch, but I wasn’t sure what was causing it (I actually thought it might be because I had just bought some local shampoo and used it for the first time earlier that morning). However, I began to get more itchy, I drank some water, but soon I realized that I must have come in contact with nuts. I excused myself from the conference and took a cab to the nearest pharmacy. I got a fast acting liquid anti-histamine, but by this time my arms were beginning to form rashes and I could tell that I was swelling up. I took a gulp of the anti-histamine, jumped the queue for a taxi and asked the driver to take me to the nearest hospital.

On the way to the hospital there was a medical clinic so I got dropped off there instead. It was the hyperbaric medical clinic but the doctor saw me immediately and gave me two needles – one a strong anti-histamine and the other a steroid to prevent asthma from occurring. Luckily, this took effect immediately and the itchiness began to subside within 5 minutes.

Both anti-histamines I had taken were “drowsy” forms and I quickly began to be extremely tired. I can only compare it to being quite drunk because I had a little trouble walking (I had to concentrate not to stumble) and I found if I stood still I would start to almost fall asleep. So, I hailed a taxi from as far from the road as possible (so I wouldn’t accidentally step into traffic) and headed home to my dorm room. My room-mate must have thought I was crazy because I came in and went right to sleep. However, also by the time I got home my rashes were gone and I was no longer feeling any effects of the allergy (except when I threw up about 15 minutes later on).

So, moral of the story – don’t trust hotels – they’re evil.
PS: I had my epipen with me, but I didn’t get into the stages of shock, so I didn’t have to use it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna* said...

So I'm still curious...what did you have for lunch? And was it good (before the itching started)?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Hopeful said...

For lunch there was shrimp cocktail with grapefruit followed by fish. It was good.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike You shouldn't post these stories on the blog as you will give mom a heart attack!!! I am glad to hear you are over your reaction. Hopefully you will avoid those proteins for the rest of your trip. Your pictures look awesome... can't wait to come see for my self. Love you Allie

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home