Saturday, March 19, 2005

I GOT PAID

After working for two months, I finally received my first pay cheque this past Friday. Apparently the paperwork was filed incorrectly and then they had a personnel switch in HR, so I was lucky enough to experience a “slight” delay in getting my cheque. However, now I have it and I'm happy to receive my little sum.

One of the idiosyncrasies of daily life is how banking is done here. At most of the banks there is are phones so people can stop in a do “phone banking” at the bank. Strange. Another difference is how cheques are deposited to your account. Unlike Canada where you just put the envelope in the machine, in Singapore you put your name, account number, and phone number on the back of the cheque and deposit it in a giant bin in one of the banks. Considering it took me two months to get, I was more than a little wary to just drop it in a slot and walk away. It seems to me as though it would be too easy to just lose a cheque or decide not to update the account for a while. I've since checked my balance and discovered that I have one “pending” deposit. I don't know why they don't just add the money to my account, but I hope it's in there soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home