Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Ho Chi Minh - Saigon

So, I'm now here in Vietnam. I've just been touring around Ho Chi Minh for the past couple of days. I have to say that the first thing I learned is that I don't know how to cross the street.

The cars now drive on the right (correct) side of the road, at least most of the time. However, cars are a vast minority. The motorcycles are taking over. At every stop light (if you can find the stop light) there are hundreds lined up. They all move out 100M in a mass wave and then spread out in every direction. I've heard the term wading through traffic, but never have I experienced it before. The best advice is to begin walking and move at a slow and constant rate. The sea of motorcycles parts like water around a rock and bikes go whizzing past on either side of the pedestrian traveler. The temptation is to make a run for it, but only a slow and patient walk will see you through to the other side. Oh, and the traffic lights are set so you can't see them at the crosswalks. So, you have to kind of guess when the light will change and choose when to begin the trek across.

Tomorrow I head to the Mekong Delta (hopefully) for 4 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home