Saturday, March 19, 2005

March 17th, St. Patrick's Day

Despite what you'd think, St. Patrick's Day is not a big holiday here in Singapore. However, myself and few other international students managed to make a good day of it. After visiting the travel clinic in the morning and getting a rabies and cholera vaccination installment, I headed to work for a long day. At 7pm I gladly hit the pavement for home. I arrived back at NTU by about 8PM and went straight to the staff club (a bar on campus for staff AND students) to meet up with the other internationals. We had a good time drinking beer and sharing stories, with a few people enthusiastically sharing their beer bong. Having had two vaccinations and no dinner, I chose to skip the bong and stick to my glass. By about 10:30 the group was organized enough to get 6 cabs, and head out to Muddy Murphy's Irish pub. The bong came along to the pub.

As you can imagine, as one of Singapore's few Irish pubs Muddy's was packed full and blaring live music. Guiness hats and green wigs were everywhere. It was a good time and nice to hear some Irish music. Probably the best part of the night was when they began giving out free bowls of Irish stew. I was famished and it was the best tasting stew I've had in a long time. By about 2AM we made it back home and I headed for bed - still wearing the green afro that I had forgotten I was wearing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home